WHO CAN ENTER
Entry into the IRIS AWARDS is open to:
» All professional photographers nationally and internationally – a professional is defined as a person who earns an income in the professional photography industry.
» Students enrolled in and studying photography or other creative arts programmes, full or part-time, at a
recognised NZ or Australian tertiary institute.
The IRIS AWARDS are the NZIPP’s commitment toward raising the profile and standard of professional photography in
New Zealand. Entering the awards offers photographers professional development opportunities that will:
» Allow you to challenge your creative boundaries;
» Extend your photographic practices and expertise;
» Provide personal achievement and professional recognition amongst your peers;
» See some of the very best of the world’s photographic talent awarded.
With strong sponsorship support and media interest, the NZIPP Iris Awards are also an excellent opportunity for professional photographers to leverage from, as part of their business marketing.
This year’s awards event will culminate with a premier awards presentation, that includes the announcement of the coveted title of New Zealand Professional Photographer of the Year.
The NZIPP Honours Council wishes you all the best for an exciting and successful year!
All entrants are welcome to come and watch the live judging in-person at the Trafalgar Centre, Nelson NEW ZEALAND from Thursday 11th – Saturday 13th August 2022. Judging is free to watch, and an excellent education opportunity.
• All Australian entrants will now be eligible for Australian Photographer of the Year. We are also including separate category winners for Australian entrants.
• All Australian entrants will go through a pre-judging round as we are limited with the number of entries that can be live judged.
• All awarded entries from NZIPP Accredited Australian members will receive merit points towards NZIPP Distinctions regardless of whether the image makes it to live judging or not. NZIPP Australian Affiliate Members can earn up to five merit points towards NZIPP Distinctions.
• The World Photographic Cup Team Australia Association have requested NZIPP supply data from Australian
entrants into the Iris Awards. Entering the NZIPP Iris Awards will be one avenue to be part of the Team selection.
*Note selection is made by World Photographic Cup Team Australia Association.
• International Photographer of the Year is now only eligible for those who reside permanently outside of New Zealand or Australia. This will only be awarded if we receive entries from 5 or more international entrants.
• Expressive category entries are no longer eligible for Photographer of the Year titles. Any images used within an
expressive entry, including books, may not be entered into other categories. A size limit to Expressive entries has also been added to the category rules.
• You no longer need to name your Nature category entry with a common or scientific name, but you must include a caption with your image.
• Printed backdrops are now allowed to be used in the Family Category only (see page 27 of the Call For Entries document for details)
• Engagement, pre-wedding shoots, post-wedding shoots, stylised wedding fashion shoots and other non wedding-day shoots are no longer included in the Wedding category but can be entered in one of the Portrait categories.
• The photographer must be the contracted photographer of the wedding to enter images into wedding categories.
• The maximum number of total entries per participant is back to 10, with the exception of students, who can enter a maximum of four images. As before, no entrant can submit more than four images in any one category.
• A 5 year age limit applies to images – all elements must have been photographed since 31 July 2017.
• The Gala Dinner event will not be live-streamed this year. The live-judging will still be streamed and links will be available on the NZIPP Facebook page before each category begins.
• NZIPP Grand Masters will now be able to achieve 3 and 4 bars.
• The Terms and Conditions of Entry have been updated.
2022 Online Registration And Entry Dates
Online Entry Registrations Open:
NEW ZEALAND ENTRANTS: Opens: 8:00 am (NZST), Sunday, 15th May 2022
AUSTRALIAN AND INTERNATIONAL ENTRANTS: Opens: 8:00 am (NZST), Sunday, 3rd April 2022
Online Entry Registrations Close:
NEW ZEALAND ENTRANTS: Closes: 11:59 pm (NZST), Sunday, 26th June 2022
AUSTRALIAN AND INTERNATIONAL ENTRANTS: Closes: 11:59pm (NZST), Sunday, 29th May 2022
Dates and times TBC
NZIPP Iris Awards – Live Judging:
Thursday 11th August – Saturday 13th August 2022
Livestreamed judging times & days TBC, with detailed information
released following the close of entries.
Gala Dinner, 7:00PM (NZST) Monday 15th August 2022. Please note this event will not be live streamed. This is a ticketed event.
Absolutely NO late entries will be accepted!