WELCOME TO THE 2022 NZIPP IRIS AWARDS!
The NZIPP Iris Awards are the NZIPP’s commitment toward raising the profile and standard of professional photography in New Zealand. Entering the awards offers photographers professional development opportunities that will:
» Allow you to challenge your creative boundaries;
» Extend your photographic practices and expertise;
» Provide personal achievement and professional recognition amongst your peers;
» See some of the very best of NZ and overseas photographic talent awarded and on display.
With strong sponsorship support and media interest, the NZIPP Iris Awards are an excellent opportunity for professional photographers to leverage from as part of their business marketing.
This year’s awards event will culminate with a premier awards presentation that includes the announcement of the coveted title of New Zealand Professional Photographer of the Year.
The NZIPP Honours Council wishes you all the best for an exciting and successful year!
Entry into the NZIPP Iris Awards is open to:
»All professional photographers nationally and internationally – a professional is defined as a person who earns an income in the professional photography industry.
» Students enrolled in and studying photography or other creative arts programmes, full or part-time, at a recognised NZ or Australian tertiary institute.
• All Australian entrants will now be eligible for Australian Photographer of the Year. We are also including separate category winners for Australian entrants.
• All Australian entrants will go through a pre-judging round as we are limited with the number of entries that can be live judged.
• All awarded entries from NZIPP Accredited Australian members will receive merit points towards NZIPP Distinctions regardless of whether the image makes it to live judging or not. NZIPP Australian Affiliate Members can earn up to five merit points towards NZIPP Distinctions.
• The World Photographic Cup Team Australia Association have requested NZIPP supply data from Australian entrants into the Iris Awards. Entering the NZIPP Iris Awards will be one avenue to be part of the Team selection.
*Note selection is made by World Photographic Cup Team Australia Association.
• International Photographer of the Year is now only eligible for those who reside permanently outside of New Zealand or Australia. This will only be awarded if we receive entries from 5 or more international entrants.
• Expressive category entries are no longer eligible for Photographer of the Year titles. Any images used within an expressive entry, including books, may not be entered into other categories. A size limit to Expressive entries has also been added to the category rules.
• You no longer need to name your Nature category entry with a common or scientific name, but you must include a caption with your image.
• Printed backdrops are now allowed to be used in the Family Category only (see page 27 of the Call For Entries Document for details)
• Engagement, pre-wedding shoots, post wedding shoots, stylised wedding fashion shoots and other non wedding-day shoots are no longer included in the Wedding category but can be entered in one of the Portrait categories.
• The photographer must be the contracted photographer of the wedding to enter images into wedding categories.
• The maximum number of total entries per participant is back to 10, with the exception of students, who can enter a maximum of four images. As before, no entrant can submit more than four images in any one category.
• A 5 year age limit applies to images – all elements must have been photographed since 31 July 2017.
• The Gala Dinner event will not be live streamed this year. The live-judging will continue to be live-streamed and links will be available on the NZIPP Facebook page before each category begins.
• NZIPP Grand Masters will now be able to achieve 3 and 4 bars.
• The Terms and Conditions of Entry have been updated.
ABOUT THIS SITE
We understand that some entrants may wish to print out key information and rules, so we have created a downloadable PDF of the criteria for each category. You’ll find links for these at the bottom of the information for that category.
Entrants also need to read these sections of key information:
– The Terms and Conditions (including the Entrant Acknowledgement)
– Important Dates and Contacts
– Fees and Eligibility
– Entry Preparation Information (includes Entry Checklist)
You can download all this key information as a bundle here if you wish to print it.
Save the Planet!
ALL of the information from this site, including information on awards you can win, how judging works, the rules for all 15 categories etc, has been compiled into one large downloadable “Call for Entries” PDF. There is nothing in there that isn’t already on this website, so our suggestion is that you simply read the site instead, and if you need to print anything, only download and print the Key Information PDF (link above) and/or the rules for the categories you wish to enter. However, the entire PDF is also there for those who want it.